Abandoned James Lees Presbyterian Church12:00 AM
James Lees Presbyterian Church placed its cornerstone in 1914 at the corner of Frankfort Avenue and William Avenue in the Louisville, Kentucky neighborhood of Clifton. In 1915, the church was completed at a cost of $20,000 and opened its doors to its congregation on September 27th, 1915. Sadly, a church that once held 400+ members strong, quickly dissolved after the turning point of the new century. The congregation held its last service in late December of 2014, and officially closed its doors for the last time in January 2015.
In September of 2015, former member Bill Abel, Jr, President of Abel Construction, purchased the 7,600 sq. ft. building in hopes of using it as office space for the company known as Advance Ready Mix Concrete. The building sits in the Clifton Preservation District and the Clifton National Register District, which means the structure has very strict guidelines in regards to changes.
For now, the building sits and decays as Abel Construction makes efforts to save the decaying structure, while staying within the historical guidelines of the C.P.D. and C.N.R.D.