Eastern Cemetery in Louisville, KY

8:00 PM

Eastern Cemetery originally opened in 1848, which makes it one of the oldest cemeteries in Louisville, Kentucky.  It was one of the first cemeteries to bury both blacks and whites in the City of Louisville, Kentucky.  It was also the first site in Louisville, Kentucky to cremate bodies on the same site of their burial.

Records indicate that as early as 1858 Eastern Cemetery began reusing graves.  One body would be buried very deep into the ground, with another body buried above them in the same plot in the following years.  In 1989, an employee reported this to authorities, and on November 28th, 1989 the New York Times reported that "the remains of over 48,000 people were buried in graves that were already occupied."

Since 1984, Eastern Cemetery has laid abandoned and maintained 100% by volunteers.  Multiple headstones and statues have been vandalized, the chapel in the rear was almost completely been destroyed before being repaired by volunteers, and the land is completely taking over, as tree roots and grass knock more stones over and then sink them into the double booked plots below.

In regards to hauntings, it is said that figures appear within the chapel and that a ghostly lady tends to the babies gravestones in the rear of the cemetery, behind the old chapel, which there are a lot of.

 This mausoleum has room for 12 bodies, yet the remains have been removed and it is being used as a tool shed.  Where are the bodies/remains...???


 Forgotten Veterans.  This cemetery has both Union and Confederate Soldiers, but due to the double booking of plots, how many is unknown.

 One of the infant graves.  Notice how the leaves are almost as big as the tombstone itself.

 The chapel.  Completely bricked off where windows and the front door use to be.  Completely sealed except for a piece of plywood in the rear where the backdoor use to stand.  This is where bodies were cremated (in the basement), then taken to their designated plot(s).



 This tombstone was found on the ground in the wooded area along the Northern side of the cemetery.  It is believed that bodies were buried there too, and now woods has claimed the plots.



 Volunteers have placed the stones near their original resting place, but they will never stand in their full glory again.



 Front entrance.

 This cremation box was located near the wooded area.  It still had cremated remains inside the bag that was within it.  It was placed back down on the ground next to this stone, where we originally picked it up at.

This above ground grave has collapsed numerous times due to the shifting of the land and vandalism.  When the corner of the cracked top stone is removed, you can see the remains of the skeleton within.

   This structure has very detailed information on it from 1850, yet appears to have been replaced and kept in good condition despite its size, which makes it stand out from the others around it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Louisville Bats

The Louisville Bats

Marion C. Moore High School

Marion C. Moore High School

UofL Men's Lacrosse

UofL Men's Lacrosse